Wednesday, September 18, 2013
Wrapping My Head Around This One - Mama + Business Owner
We are now over halfway through the pregnancy. While I've been feeling wonderful and am now enjoying little karate chops inside my abdomen on a regular basis that make my heart spin circles of joy... I've had an overwhelming sense of fear for how I will handle things at Jenna Lou Designs once Baby O arrives. It's a fear that I've been pretty good at pushing deep down inside, but as the weeks pass and the due date gets nearer it is weighing more heavily on my mind.
I've spoken with so many people about my options and discussed so many angles, but there is still a feeling in my heart that wont diminish. I'm worried about pleasing my customers, but also about allowing myself the grace to heal and enjoy those precious moments with my newborn baby.
I caught myself saying this to a friend : "For as long as I can remember my business has been my baby.... now I want my baby to be my baby." That kind of sums it all up for me.
Things I do know:
1. I will be taking a maternity leave of unknown time. I'm thinking 2-3 weeks depending on how the birth goes and of course the temperament of our little one. During this time emails will probably have to go unattended, and orders will not be processing. I think this is the biggest challenge for me. Please say a prayer that our customers will understand and still feel like their needs are being met.
2. After the maternity leave period I want to ease back into work and eventually try to get things back to normal *well a new normal*. Emailing again and starting to take on new custom work possibly with a longer turn around time.
Things I don't know:
1. If working out of my home studio will still be good for the business and my family.
2. If I should continue doing art shows and selling my line of "everyday" items or just focus on Bridal which in honesty is my bread and butter.
3. If I will go crazy trying to "do it all".
I want things to transition smoothly and I want Jenna Lou Designs to come out the other side in good shape, yet I want to give my family what it deserves from me. Please say a prayer that as time goes by I feel more at ease with this transition and that my family finds grace and favor from God.
** Update: I know 2-3 weeks is very short after giving birth. I don't mean that I will be back in the full swing of things after this time, but just that I plan to give that amount of time to absolutely no working, no emails, no sewing... and then after that I will VERY gradually start taking orders again. Thanks to those who expressed concern that this is not enough time... I fully realize that, but also realize that when I'm not working I'm not getting paid and my family will need that from me as much as my time and love. Also I just want to state that though this is my plan, I'm ready and willing to follow God's plan for my life. If I find it's not working then I will take more time as needed. < Possibly the scariest thought of all!